Copyright date: 2008
Published by: Marshall Cavendish
Lexile Reading Level: 710
Grade Level Recommendation: 3rd Grade
Common Core State Standards: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.3.3
Describe characters in a story (e.g., their traits, motivations, or feelings) and explain how their actions contribute to the sequence of events
Suggested Delivery: Read aloud or independent
- dilemma: any difficult situation requiring making a choice
- jabbering: to talk or utter rapidly or incoherently.
- persuade: to convince someone to do something by advising or encouraging.
- negotiate: to make a deal or a bargain with another person.
- squalling: a sudden disturbance or commotion.
- irresponsible: something said or done with a lack of responsibility.
- Before: Prior to reading this story, talk to the students about problem and solutions. Depending on the age group, the teacher could lead a discussion on positive and negative reactions.
- During: Throughout the story, Emma gets in a few dilemmas. Have students create a list of some of her problems, her solutions, and one original solution of their own. As they are reading, have them continue to record these problems and how they are solved.
- After: Emma really wants her Nanny to come to her big soccer game. Have you ever wanted someone besides your parent to chaperone a trip. Did this cause an problems? Were your parents hurt by this? What is one way you could compromise with them?
Writing Activity Suggestion: Emma has faced a lot of different problems. How have some of her solutions effected other characters in the story? Did they have positive or negative results? How did the way Emma was feeling during the situations effect her choices? What makes you think this?
- Patricia Hermes Website– Want more books by Patricia Hermes? Check out her website to see a full list of books she has written.
- Problem Solving Graphic Organizers– There are some great graphic organizers that can help students organize their ideas.
Other Books in the Series:
- Emma Dilemma and the New Nanny
- Emma Dilemma and the Two New Nannies
- Emma Dilemma and the Soccer Nanny
- Emma Dilemma and the Camping Nanny
- Emma Dilemma, the Nanny, and the Secret Ferret
- Emma Dilemma, the Nanny, and the Best Horse Ever
- Emma Dilemma, the Nanny, and the Wedding