Copyright Date: 2006
Published by: Scholastic Inc.
Lexile Reading Level: 670
Grade Level Recommendation: 4th Grade
Common Core State Standard:
Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
Suggested Delivery: Independent
- exasperated: to irritate or provoke
- regulations: a law or rule
- commitment: a pledge or promise; obligation
- wavered: to show doubt or indecision
- protest: an expression of objection or disapproval
- betrayed: to be unfaithful in guarding, maintaining, or fulfilling
- Before: What are some worries that you had before you came to (current grade level?) Make a list of them and how you got through them. In this story, Sophie and Kylie are in a similar situation.
- During: Write a brief character analysis for Sophie and Kylie. How are each of the girls feeling? How do you know this?
- After: Which girl can you relate to? Why? Have you ever been in a situation similar to the one Sophie and Kylie are in? What happened?
Writing Suggestion: If you could give Sophie or Kylie advice to help them become friends again what would you say? Is the advice that you gave different from what happened at the end of the story?
- Scholastic – Find out more about the book by checking out the Scholastic website.
- Mimi McCoy– Want to learn a little more about the author?
- The Boy Next Door by Laura Dower
- Miss Popularity by Francesco Sedita
- How to Be a Girly Girl in Ten Days by Lisa Papademtetriou