Copyright Date: 2014
Published by: Scholastic Inc.
Lexile Reading Level: 290
Grade Level Recommendations: 3rd – 5th Grade
Common Core State Standard:
Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary.
Read grade-level text with purpose and understanding.
Suggested Delivery: Independent
- reunion: the act of uniting again
- hydroplane: to skim over water at very high speeds
- presume: to assume to be true, to suppose
- shudder: to tremble with a sudden convulsive movement, as from horror, fear, or cold
- bramble: any prickly shrub
- will: a wish or purpose as carried out, or to be carried out
- divorce: an formal separation of husband and wife according to established custom
- hitchhiking: to travel by standing on the side of the road and soliciting rides from passing vehicles
- Before: The teacher should give a brief walk through of the book. It is important to show the students how to read a comic book. Point out the sequence of the script. It is a good idea to instruct the students to look at the pictures. In a comic the pictures hold some of the key details to understanding the story or message.
- During: Ask the students to follow the 3-2-1 model.
- Write down 3 things you know about each of the three characters.
- Point out 2 pictures and describe the importance of the picture to the story.
- Ask 1 question you have about the story.
- After: Have the students fill out an exit slip where they need to list the main idea, plot, setting, and moral of the story.
Writing Activity Suggestion: The students can write their own comic about their siblings, cousins, or neighbors. These comics must include, a plot, setting, conflict, and resolution.
- Pixton – This is a cool website that students can use to make their comic come to life.
- Story Board Creator – Another website that allows the students to create their own stories. This one comes with different backgrounds and other ideas to help students.
- Raina’s Website – The author of Sisters has an awesome website that both the teacher and the students can look at.
Other Books By Raina Telegmeier:
- Baby-sitters Club #1: Kristy’s Great Idea
- Baby-sitters Club #2: The Truth About Stacey
- Baby-sitters Club #3: Mary Anne Saves the Day
- Baby-sitters Club #4: Claudia and Mean Jean